Milan, Italy–(BUSINESS WIRE)–In partnership with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine and CONCEPTKICKS, Timberland unveils a first-of-its-kind design innovation experience that blends the physical and virtual worlds to reimagine product design and engage consumers in the journey. Centered on Timberland CONSTRUCTION: program 10061the partnership invites players and footwear enthusiasts around the world to enter the world of design, creation and innovation, enhanced by an immersive playable experience in Fortnite.
Elements of the multi-faceted and multi-stakeholder project include:
- Timberland Design Lab and Maker Space, in Fortnite: Get a rare glimpse into Timberland’s shoe innovation and design process by visiting Fortnite’s Virtual Design Lab – a recreation of the brand’s real-world innovation lab and design space.
- Meta Design Workshop: Footwear innovators from Timberland’s Advanced Concepts & Energy (ACE) team, CONCEPTKICKS and CONSTRUCT:10061 partnered with digital innovators from BeyondCreative for a design and build workshop that took place entirely in Timberland Design Virtual Lab in Fortnite. The result was four spectacular metaboots, including a replica of the iconic yellow boot, as well as three original boots inspired by custom outdoor biomes created as part of the project.
- Timberland Parkour Trails: This immersive gaming experience takes place on a custom Fortnite island featuring arctic, desert, and forest biomes. After visiting the Design Lab, players complete challenges and obstacles in each of the biomes, unlocking special effects when they reach the Metaboots and return the samples to the lab. CARD CODE: 4313-0063-0736.
- Metaboots, in AR: The Forest Metaboot has been recreated in high fidelity using the Unreal Engine and is viewable and accessible in AR via Make sketches. The AR boot appears on backgrounds modeled after the forest biome and built using Unreal Engine’s Quixel Megascans.
- Prototype boots, in AR: Eight physical prototypes from a recent IRL workshop were also scanned and placed on biome-inspired backgrounds using Unreal Engine-powered Twinmotion and Quixel Megascans. These are also accessible in AR via Sketchfab.
“Timberland was built on a foundation of footwear innovation; our partnership with Epic Games’ Unreal Engine allows us to explore new dimensions as we envision the future of shoemaking and shoe culture,” said Drieke Leenknegt, Chief Marketing Officer, Timberland. “We introduced the collaboration model to the Metaverse by inviting innovators such as Daniel Bailey, Zixiong Wei, and Aisha Kujk to co-create Metaboots with our own ACE designers, in Fortnite. At the same time, we invite consumers into the world of design innovation within an incredible Fortnite experience. The possibilities for logging into the metaverse are endless.
The CONSTRUCT:10061 Fortnite experience launches at Timberland’s Orefici11 flagship store during Milan Design Week, where guests can experience physical prototypes, watch live gameplay, and participate in real-time creation of a fifth Metaboot in Fortnite. The brand tapped Ali “SypherPK” Hassan, who started creating videos in 6e rank and became one of the most recognized and followed Fortnite players/creators in the world.
“Timberland has built a legacy around some of the most beloved products in footwear, in large part due to their innovative, forward-thinking mindset,” said Raffaella Camera, Head of Brands at Unreal Engine, EpicGames. “Through the use of Unreal Engine-based tools and virtual worlds, brand enthusiasts have the ability to engage with Timberland® boots in ways not possible today, while designers can create and collaborate in completely new ways, using real-time 3D technology. It’s exciting to imagine where we can take this together.
Launched in 2018, CONSTRUCT:10061 brings together the best footwear innovators and designers from around the world each year to rethink and push the boundaries of boot manufacturing. For S22, CONSTRUCT enters the metaverse for the first time.
“By connecting artists and creatives from different industries, we challenge and learn from each other and often come up with ideas we never would have come up with on our own,” said Daniel Bailey, Founder and Creative Director of CONCEPTKICKS. . “This season we brought a completely different medium into the mix with Fortnite. It was fascinating to see how the builders at BeyondCreative interpreted and manipulated existing elements to try and create the footwear designers’ vision.
The creative strategy for introducing CONSTRUCT:10061 into Fortnite was led by Metavision. “For this project, we were really interested in capturing the design process and showing how Metaboots came to life,” said Metavision co-founder and creative director Luke Price. “It has been a great pleasure collaborating with creators from different disciplines at BeyondCreative and CONSTRUCT, learning about each other’s styles and influences, and creating amazing things. Metavision is focused on finding new ways to interact with the audience and tell stories in the metaverse and it’s fantastic to work with Timberland and partners who share this philosophy.
Timberland is a global outdoor and work-inspired brand on a mission to inspire and equip a new generation to get outside, work hard together, and move the world forward. Based in Stratham, New Hampshire, Timberland also has international headquarters in Stabio, Switzerland, and Shanghai, China. Best known for its original yellow work boot introduced in 1973 to tackle the harsh elements of New England, Timberland today offers a full line of footwear, apparel and accessories made with eco-friendly innovation for people who share the brand’s passion for enjoying – and protecting – Nature.
In the heart of Timberland® brand is a vision for a greener and fairer future. It comes to life through a decades-long commitment to responsibly manufacturing products, protecting the outdoors, and strengthening communities around the world. To learn more and share Timberland’s mission, visit a Timberland® store, timberland.com or follow @timberland or @timberlandpro. Timberland is a brand of VF Corporation.
Founded by Daniel Bailey, one of the world’s leading shoe design influencers, CONCEPTKICKS is a media platform and creative studio specializing in shoe design, art direction and branding. With a background in industrial design, the studio has found a niche in directing product activations that balance the stories behind technical knowledge and current consumer tastes.
ABOUT UNREAL ENGINE
Epic Games’ Unreal Engine is the world’s most open and advanced real-time 3D tool. Creators in games, film and TV, architecture, automotive, manufacturing, live events, simulation and other industries choose Unreal to deliver cutting-edge content, experiences interactive and immersive virtual worlds.
Metavision is the studio and agency of the metaverse. We work with entertainment companies and brands to strengthen their presence and strategy in virtual worlds. From creating continuous brand universes for brands to generating the next wave of entertainment IP, Metavision is the studio and agency to engage Metaverse’s dynamic audiences and build the next generation of entertainment experiences. and brand. For more information on Metavision, visit https://metavision.studio/.
BeyondCreative is a Fortnite Creative game studio that develops bespoke digital experiences for some of the biggest brands in the world. Since its inception in 2020, BeyondCreative has brought over 15 brands to life in Fortnite, some of which have been involved in winning multiple recognizable awards for their agency clients and ultimately opening the doors to how brands can deliver. fan engagement through Fortnite the hard-to-reach gaming audience. For more information on our projects, please visit www.beyondcreative.gg.