Fire destroys 1820 house in Stratham, New Hampshire on Jack Rabbit Lane

STRATHAM — An early Saturday morning fire destroyed an 1820 home in New England as firefighters from 13 city departments battled the blaze in freezing weather.

Stratham Fire Chief Matt Larrabee said his department was called at 3.35am to 15 Jack Rabbit Lane after homeowners awoke to the smell of smoke and found a fire coming from the basement. floor and an area outside the house.

“Everyone got out safely, residents and their pets,” Larrabee said. “No firefighters were injured.”

Larrabee said several agencies have reached out to help residents.

“I know they intend to stay in the area, but I don’t know where that will be at the moment,” he said.

The cold conditions, with single-digit temperatures and lack of water supply were difficult, he said.

“We called many departments because we were dealing with extreme cold and had to maintain a good water supply,” Larrabee said. “There are no fire hydrants up there, so we brought in extra tankers to keep the water supply going. We also needed extra fire hydrants to be able to keep them running when ‘they were wet.’

Mutual aid came from Exeter, North Hampton, Greenland, Newmarket, Newfields, Brentwood, South Hampton, Epping, East Kingston, Kensington, Hampton and Hampton Falls.

Following:Fire in Exeter destroys Clara Street garage and 2 vehicles, spreads to home

Larrabee said the firefighters’ efforts eventually turned into a defensive operation. He said the fire appeared to have started in the basement, in the chimney area, then moved through the walls to the second floor ceiling, resulting in multiple areas of fire. He said the cause of the fire was under investigation.

“There was a small in-laws house behind the main house and it was not damaged,” Larrabee said.

According to several real estate websites, the main house had four bedrooms and three bathrooms, indicating that the property sold in August 2020 for $415,000.

Larrabee said firefighters were on site until noon Saturday.

Coverage of the station was provided by ambulances from Rye, Nottingham and Kingston.