Date posted: November 23, 2022 at 2:09 PM
Last update: November 23, 2022 at 2:13 PM
New Investment Will Add Civilian Ambassadors to Oakland’s Retail Districts, Improve Public Safety in Downtown Oakland and District Business Districts
LINK to the video of the press conference here: http://bit.ly/3VksnsP
Oakland, California – Joined by the Chamber of Commerce, local business organizations and the Oakland Police, Mayor Libby Schaaf announced two new initiatives that will immediately improve safety in Oakland’s shopping districts this holiday season and improve overall safety in downtown Oakland for workers and returning visitors.
The mayor will put the issue to a vote at a special meeting of city council on Tuesday. Additionally, OPD announced its “Holiday Safety Strategy” to increase its presence in places of business where people shop and dine.
Speakers at the press conference include (in order of appearance) Mayor Libby Schaaf, Andrew Jones, co-owner and COO of Oakland Venue Management and program director of Downtown Oakland Association, OPD Asst. Chef Darren Allison and Cathy Adams, President and CEO of the Oakland African American Chamber of Commerce.
The two public safety initiatives announced were:
1. Shop Safely in Oakland:
– Immediate expansion of civilian ambassadors and security used in commercial areas during the holidays.
– Grants to trade organizations to help shop owners purchase and install additional security features and improve lighting.
– Extended coordination and shared communication equipment between the OPD and commercial organisations.
2. Welcome to Downtown:
– Immediate extension of daytime security and civilian ambassadors.
– Creation of new night safety ambassadors.
– Control of night traffic and repression of illegal sales.
– Grants to owners of downtown buildings to help purchase and install additional security upgrades and improved lighting.
Shop Safely at Oakland Partners:
• Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
• African American Chamber of Commerce
• Chinatown Chamber of Commerce
• Vietnamese Chamber of Oakland/Little Saigon
• Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
• Downtown/Downtown Oakland Association
• Koreatown/Northgate IDB (Kono)
• Temescal/Telegraph BID
• Chinatown OFFER
• Jack London Improvement District
• Laurier District Association
• Diamond Improvement Association
• Rockridge District Association
• Montclair Village Association
• Offer by the lake
• Unit Council/Fruitvale
A copy of the board’s report and proposed resolution is attached.
# # #